Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Quote

"Death is not terrible like life. There is more to fear from coercion than the quiet refuge of death."

This is a heavy quote for a 14 year old. I know her next entry speaks to her reaction to this quote, but it still speaks to the emotional state of the author at that time. I have two kids, both boys, and therefore do not have the perspective of what it would be like to deal with the emotions of a 14 year old daughter. I do have friends who do and from what I have seen and heard this seems consistent with their experiences. My younger son, Ty, who is turning 10 this year does hit those emotional lows once and a while. For example, if we give him a hard time about eating his veggies, we will get a response like "I feel like you think I should never have been born!" or "why do you hate me!?!". Sometimes it is hard not to laugh. So reading this, I don't take this as a literal wish to die, but rather an over dramatic expression of

I do like this quote though. It shows a unusual elegance to the all too common emotion of a teen trying to deal with the unpopular wishes of her parents. "The quite refuge of death" really struck me as poetic and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment